I enjoy cooking in my instant pot, but my favorite thing to cook is chicken thighs. They take on great flavor and practically melt in your mouth. I decided to try my hand at Tortilla Soup but I couldn’t find a recipe that I liked so came up with my own version.
- 2.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 16 oz can Private Selection tomatillo chipotle salsa (or your favorite salsa)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 5 ounces (1 can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels ( I actually use fresh corn and take the kernels off the cob)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- Carmen’s Thin & Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips (1/2 serving per person/7 chips)
- 1 small avocado diced or slices (I use the teeny tiny ones from Trader Joes or Fred Meyer)
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream or guacamole. (not included in nutritional info)
- Set the Instant pot to the Sauté function. Sauté shallot and garlic in the oil until translucent
- Add the salsa, chicken thighs (whole), black beans, chicken stock, water, salt and all the spices. Give a good stir, and set the instant pot to pressure cook on poultry setting for 20 minutes, quick release when cooking is done. Lower the time to 13 minutes if using thawed chicken.
- Shred chicken thighs with two forks and return to pot. As the soup thickens you add the corn let cook for one minute then add spinach. Squeeze with a generous amount of lime juice and taste for salt, adding more if necessary.
- Top with tortilla chips, avocado and cilantro. Add hot sauce or cayenne pepper for added heat.
Serves 4, 461 calories per serving
I have the 8Qt 10-in-1 but there are two other ones I can recommend as well depending on your budget and family size.
Please note I may get compensated for the products I recommend.