As many of you know I love to cook with spices found in the Mediterranean so I always am bringing home new ones. On my trip to Egypt this year I came home with Kabsa Spice (I was lucky enough to not have to make the spice mixture at home but I have included the recipe in case you cannot find it anywhere. If you are looking for any Middle Eastern or Mediterranean food I recommend finding your closest Mediterranean Market. The one closest to me is Lynnwood Mediterranean Market .
I looked online for a few recipes and then adjusted it a bit to make it my own. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Kabsa spice mix
(you can find the spices and possibly already prepared at a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern Market):
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp saffron
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground all spice
- ½ tsp dried black lime powder
Combine in bowl and set aside
*mix adapted from one found on allrecipes.com
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 1/4 tsp Kabsa spice
- 1 shallot or onion, sliced or diced (since I am not a fan of onions I used a diced shallot)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 serrano chili
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (black pepper powder)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin (cumin powder)
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander (coriander powder)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Roasted Chicken Better than Bouillon
- 6-7 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot/onion, ginger, garlic and serrano chili. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown. Add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick fry for one minute.
- Stir in tomato purée. Add ground nutmeg, salt, ground black pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander and kabsa spice. Fry the spices for a minute. Add carrots, diced tomatoes and Better Than Bouillon. Stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Make some wells for the chicken pieces. Brown chicken, turning occasionally, for about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan. Set aside.
- Add rice and raisins. Taste and season with salt if needed. Pour in water and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat grill or you can pan fry on stove. Grill chicken for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Chop up the chicken and add back to rice mix or serve with rice on the side. (I prefer mixing it in)
Serves 5, 381 calories
Here is the type of pan I recommend for this dish.
Please note I may get compensated for the products I recommend.