Christmas Dinner calls for something special so what is better than a root veggie medley? It goes with Prime Rib and is great with Honeybaked Ham too! I am quite sure that whatever your main dish is that this would be the perfect side dish. Even the kids loved it!
- 1 large thick sweet potato, peeled
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large parsnips, ends trimmed and peeled
- 4-5 medium beets, peeled (I prefer a mix of golden and red)
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream, divided into 1/3 cups (splurge on this to get the best consistency) may need to add a little more if not thoroughly coated
- 8 tbsp grated Parmesan, divided
- 4 tsp fresh minced thyme, divided, plus more for garnish
- 8 tbsp shredded gruyere, divided
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded gruyere or white cheddar
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Using a mandolin (to get the veggies nice and thin and the same size), slice russet potato, sweet potato, parsnips and beets into very thin rounds and transfer each vegetable to its own bowl.
- Pour 1/3 cup cream over each bowl of vegetables and add 2 tbsp grated Parmesan, 2 tbsp Gruyere and 1 tsp minced thyme. Season each bowl generously with salt and pepper and toss together until all vegetable slices are well coated.
- Grab a stack of sweet potatoes and line them standing up on a bias, at the top of 9×13 baking dish (I use the disposable ones you can get at the grocery store)
- Follow with rows of the parsnip, beets, potato and repeat, creating 4 rows.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from oven, uncover and top with 1 cup shredded gruyere and 1/2 of the parsley.
- Return to oven uncovered and cook until tops of veggies are crispy and cheese is melted. I cooked for about 40 minutes but may vary depending on your oven.
- Finish with a sprinkle of remaining fresh thyme leaves and parsley.
Serving Information: Serves 10-12, 303-252 calories per serving